Monday, March 2, 2009

Stocks Retreat Below 1997 Levels

Good Evening All

Yuck! What else can you say about today? The DOW plunged 300 points to end the day at 6763. These levels on the DOW have not been seen since 1997. CNBC had a great stat today: Only 12 companies on the DOW are up since 1997.

How bout them apples? I thought stocks always go up? Don't stocks always come back? That's whats been driven into our heads by our financial experts on a daily basis. Millions of Americans are now down more than 50% in their 401k's as a result of the brilliant "buy and hold" strategies that were sold to them by a network of financial fools that were supposed to be professional financial advisers. I think all of these clowns need to retake their series 7 and learn what a real investment portfolio looks like!

This is why you need to plug your ears each day when you see bubblevision rolling out their slew of bottom callers every hour. The system is broken folks and the truth here is no one knows where the bottom is including myself.

Stocks run a serious risk of losing its status as THE place to invest for the long term.

I say this because this is what happens when you have a stock market that is filled with manipulation, fraud, and criminals. Investors are starting to ask themselves: Do I really want to invest my life savings into a corrupt system that's filled with a bunch of Madoffs? The answer is increasingly becoming no and until this mess is cleaned up, I think the DOW continues to fall.

What was interesting about today was there was no real catalyst that sent stocks into a tailspin. The usual quarterly AIG bailout after a $60 billion quarterly loss was about the only thing that made news today. God, I can't even count how many times this turd has been bailed out now. Whats this the third time now? Call me crazy but here is an idea: Perhaps this financial black hole needs to die?

I find it amazing that the government agrees to give a .40 stock(AIG) $30 billion dollars after already throwing them over $130 billion in the past 6 months. We need to ask ourselves: Is this company too big to fail or too big to survive? Put me in the "too big to survive" camp.

Bottom Line:

There really isn't much news to discuss here folks. The problem we have is there is zero confidence in the markets. Investors continue to be forced to sit in the dark. Our financial firms are insolvent and every investor knows it. The government still refuses to tell us how they plan on fixing it.

The DC and Wall St crew continue to "hide the sausage" from a transparency standpoint. As a result, no one knows what the rules of the game are now when it comes to investing in our capital markets. This sends investors for the hills. Until investors understand what they are buying, don't expect private money to come back into the market and buy stocks.

Transparency must return or this market is going to go down faster then a cheap hooker. I stayed mildy short into the close. I see no reason to get out of positions as long as the financial system continues to keep everyone in the dark.

We did pin and close at 700 on the S&P today. This appears to possibly be setting up as an area of possible resistance. There was a little buying after hours that ran it up to 705. This sets up an interesting day tomorrow. A bounce here is possible but I don't see it gathering any steam.

If we firmly break south through 700 tomorrow at the open, there is a good chance the next stop is 600.

Geithner and Obama had better come up with a plan or this market is in deep trouble. Its hard to believe that we have retraced all of the way back to the '97 levels.

So how ugly could this collapse get in a worse case scenario? Take a look at this chart:




How does DOW 1000 sound? Not too good I would assume. If all hell were to break loose I think DOW 1000 holds no matter how bad things get. There is major resistance at these levels. The scary thing here is when you look at that chart, there isn't really that much resistance between DOW 1000 and where we are today.

Do I think this is likely to happen? No. I am hoping that the small 1995 area of resistance holds right around DOW 4-5k. Sadly, when you look at this chart, DOW 1000 appears to have some credibility because its been a straight rocket ride up ever since and these trendlines(other than the DOW 2000 area) have never really been retested as a result.

We are in uncharted waters here folks. Anyone saying they know where the bottom is at this point should be ignored.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have it on great authority that positively, absolutely, without a doubt! the bottom will be no less than ZERO. You can take that to the bank : )

I spent most of the day on the side lines aside from a little scalp in the morning session. Instead, I'm gonna position myself for a bounce (only to re-load on shorts once it gets toppy)

Very solemn mood out there.

Jeff said...

Joey

Nice Call! I agree!

Yeah a bounce wouldn't surprise me here. I may go flat tomorrow morning.

Another part of me thinks staying short is the right call because we have the jobs # on Friday.

I may hold what I have and add some shorts on any bounce heading into Friday.

I will just have to see how the week plays out.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
I think you're rightly positioned. Besides, you trade or at least I think, on a longer time frame than me. I usually take my money home with me on the wknds.

Still have my long dated puts. I may even buy some June 50 just for sh%$s and giggles.

Jeff said...

Joey

Thanks

This is one tough tape to trade. Its hard to position yourself as we sit here in uncharted waters

Avl Guy said...

I'm not a chartist...not into Astrology either and I don’t mean to sound dismissive or glib...but I always think of Astrology when chartists show up.

But I do believe in Cosmology and that brings up AIG.
Cosmologists learned last decade there are black holes and then there are BLACK HOLES!
There is an exponential size difference between garden-variety versus Galactic Core ones (Google it).
AIG seems to want to be a Galactic Core one but the Eastern Europe-driven bank bailout involving EuroZone UK banks will be the real Galactic Core black hole if it hits $25 Trillion (16.7 million pounds).

I always get re-grounded when I am forced to abandon our 'belly-button-gazing' obsession with our puny human affairs, and take in The Big Picture.
Check It Out...the real awe of a Galctic Core black hole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fytriKJ8xhE

Just an enjoyable side-bar commentary for ya Jeff & ur readers.

Jeff said...

Avl

Thanks for sharing. I totally agree. AIG would suck the life out of anyone like any good black hole would!

I think charts and TA are helpful, but I definately think they are just an added tool from a trading perspective.

The news, knowledge, and your gut are also required in order to be profitable when you are trading.

I gotta admit, certian charts like the one I posted tonight really fascinate me. I am continually amazed at how everything "reverts to the mean".